Skip to main content

Essay on Patrick Jane (spoilers)

 Introduction.

Patrick Jane is the main protagonist in the 2000's American TV show "The Mentalist" portrayed by Simon Baker. Patrick Jane is the main  protagonist on the show, and with a surprisingly the least morals  on the team of protagonists. We'll get to these later. Patrick Jane works in the California Bureau of Investigation (CBI), but later works for the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). Both as a consultant. Before that, he was a professional mentalist that faked psychic powers to get money out of people.

Powers and abilities.

Patrick Jane possesses a powerful mental prowess. He is a master of tactics and people, especially knowing them. His observational skills are absolutely exceptional. I myself, am a deductionist/mentalist, so I know about how this works. His observational skills are at the level of the legendary deductionist Sherlock Holmes. I'd even bother to say that Patrick Jane was a better Sherlock Holmes than the Benedict Cumberbatch incarnation in the 2010 BBC's " Sherlock ". All deductions are focusing on 4 different  ways of information. Attire, Physicality, Verbal and non-verbal sources. In the case of Patrick Jane there are five,because he is a master of using his intuition. This is mostly framed as guesswork. 

Painful past and story

The story of the show starts off with introducing us to Patrick's past. And how The notorious serial killer "Red John" killing his wife and daughter because of his profession of being a fake psychic (mentalist).The rest of the story revolves around his redemption and act of revenge. After 6 seasons/ years of a cat and mouse battle of Patrick and Red John, with Patrick trying to find out who he  is and kill him for good. He accomplishes his goal of vengeance and kills his nemesis after a long battle of unraveling a secret society of corrupt law enforment officials all throughout the state of California. There is though another 1.5 seasons of the show. What happens then? He finds Final peace in his new love interest. Then the final wedding, we get the final moments of a peculiar show that brought excitement to its watchers for years.

The character's moral compass

Patrick JAne is a very grey character. He is the perfect balance between the Good guys of his team at CBI and his nemesis in Red John. He said it himself, and I can't sum it up more. "I don't care about the law, I care about justice." Seeing this quote, something comes to mind. He doesn't care about the rules of the world. The rules that other people set for everyone. He cares about his own morals and rules. "An eye for an eye" as they say. That's why he's so grey. The cops represent the law and the boundaries and Red John, the crimes and unhinchedness of everything. Patrick represents justice. There is a problem though. Not even Patrick is sure if his quest of vengeance is even good when you look at the quote: "Revenge is for fools and madmen." 

His allies 

Patrick Jane has a team. Just like Gregory House from "House MD" and even Sherlock Holmes. The team consists of a pretty good dynamic. Teresa Lisbon played by Robin Tunney is the boss and the one who doesn't agree with Patrick and questions his morals Just like Cuddy with House. Then we have rigsby and Van Pelt (Owain Yeoman and Amanda Righetti). Rigsby is the big and dumb and Van pelt is the good-girl i guess. And their whole arc revolves around them being in love and the rules not letting that happen. I think I can reference this to Chase and Cameron. Then we get to the most bad-ass character in the history of the show. Kimball Cho portrayed by by Tim Kang the buff asian with a robot-like character. I would make a reference to Foreman, but I'm not sure if there are any simmilarities.

Conclusion

The Character of Patrick Jane is a deeper concept when you think about it. His mental abilities and unique deduction style is most intriguing. I try my best at adapting it into my own. The depth of his morals is a nice addition to the generic 2000's crime drama that is "The Mentalist".


This is the essay I'm going to try and submit to my english teacher. Wish me luck.

Happy deducing!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intuition & deduction

 Intuition. It's a thing that, if trained generally helps you with getting to know people. Also, looking through them. I'm currently working on the latter. Intuition is nothing that is like deduction, more like guessing. Very good guessing. In the show The Mentalist the protagonist, Patrick Jane uses his power of guesswork?  He uses what is called intuition and a fair bit of deduction. We'll get to that later. Now intuition is something that is quite trainable. I'm on the road of training it. Intuition is something that works subconsciously. You look at a person and it just happens. People often confuse intuition and deduction with presumption, and that is often thought of as "being racist". This slides into the social dilemma of deduction, that I'm probabli going to do an entry on.  How intuition works It basically works like this: You look at a person that is wearing very vibrant coloured clothes. A natural reaction in your brain is "This person mus

Recent experiences

 A few days ago I saw a person that looked interesting to me, and because everyone on the internet was saying to me that I should practice, I started deducing and I didn`t get so much. I found out from attire that he must have been doing something sporty. He had his left hand in his pocket so he left his right, dominant hand to do something else. Lastly, he had some mud on his socks. That meant that he came there with a bike. NOT that it was an older sock because it rained that day. Also, I`ve been watching a lot of youtube on this topic. I also read an essay too from a young woman around my age. One of those youtube videos taught me how to observe a person. Starting from the shoes, going up to the knees then up to the jacket and it`s shoulders, back to the hands and lastly, the face. Then you simply run over the whole person again, from the data you gathered, create three or so theories and from those 1 greater picture of the person. I practice almost everyday but in passing deduction